Why should I use Gannon Pest Control instead of another company? What’s the difference?
Gannon Pest Control offers warranties with each of our services to ensure an infestation is eliminated. Our company tries very hard to solve our customers’ pest problems and give their homes the care that we would want for our own. According to our customers we succeed at this!
In 2013, for the third year in a row, Gannon Pest Control earned the Angie’s List Super Service Award. Winners have to meet strict eligibility requirements, including earning a minimum number of reports, and receiving excellent ratings from their customers.
Why Shouldn’t I “Do it Myself” with off the shelf pesticides, instead of hiring Gannon Pest Control?
- Most of the products used by Gannon Pest Control are not available over the counter in the strength needed to completely eradicate your pest problems. In the past our Customers who tried to do it themselves, ended up paying more out of pocket and doing a lot more work for than if they had hired us in the first place.
- Our technicians are trained to look for points of entry, and problem areas. Furthermore, they are trained to use the most effective products to completely solve your issues, not just control them for a while.
- The warranty we give with all of our treatments ensures that if we do not solve your issue on the first treatment, we will return to determine further treatment areas needed.
Pesticides & Chemicals
Will the pesticides you use harm my children, pets, and people?
- All products used by Gannon Pest Control are New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, (DEC) Controlled products. Our methods of application are designed to ensure the safest environment for you and your pets.
- Ask us what the recommended time out of house after treatment is. Considerations are: type of treatment, areas treated, presence of pregnancy, young children, Asthma or upper respiratory problems, and or elderly. Pets are usually kept out of direct contact during or immediately following treatment. Exceptions for Reptiles and Birds are in place, due to small respiratory systems.
Why do we have to leave the house after an interior treatment?
NYS considers a wet (treatment) product to be “breathable ” until it is dried and because we have no way of knowing if anyone has allergies or respiratory issues we ask that everyone be able to vacate for at least a couple of hours after treatment. In the case of a Flea Treatment it is also because that is a total floor treatment and walking on it while wet will remove the product onto shoes and no longer be on the floor where it is needed.
Are the chemicals you use toxic? Are they safe around my children?
All chemicals are “toxic” -which is why they are used to control/kill insects. NYS dictates what chemicals we can use and how we can apply them – which is why they are “safe” for use around your children. Chemicals should never be applied by anyone who has not been trained in proper usage. Our company policy regarding children is that the younger they are the longer we will ask you to keep the child out after treatment, so that everything we may have done has plenty of drying time. (Very young (under 6 months) we may ask they be kept out for as long as 24 hrs).
Do I need to remove my pets for treatment?
This depends on the pet and the reason for treatment. Certain pets such as birds, reptiles, rodents (hamsters-gerbils) need to be removed for 24-48 hours if any treatments are done, as they have sensitive lungs. Dogs and cats may only need to be placed in an area that will not be treated. It is always best to discuss this with the person scheduling your appointment.
Will your products stain my walls or floors?
All products used inside are DEC regulated for use indoors and are mostly water based products that dry clear. Water based also means easy clean up if spilled. For that reason, Gannon Pest Control recommends no wet mopping or wet cleaning of treated areas for at least a couple weeks to allow for the most effective treatment the first time. Sweeping & vacuuming are acceptable.
I have someone in my home that is on life support, can you still provide treatment?
Approval by management must be given, depending on service needed.
Gannon Pest Control Policies & Procedures
Do I have to be home for this service?
Exterior services do not require someone to be home, if you have special areas of concern either give us a call or leave a note for the technician on your front door. For interior work we require someone to be home to describe problem areas and to allow us access. However, during certain services you will be asked to leave during and after service for your own safety.
Do you bait or spray attics?
We do not allow our technicians into a crawl space attic for their safety as well as our customers. We can place bagged baits or set off insect foggers if needed for a specific target pest.
Do you offer free inspections?
We offer free estimates. There are inspection fees for rodent inspections, $50.00 plus tax, and other insects (ants, bed bugs, bees, silver-fish, etc) inspections are $50.00 plus tax. If you decide to have service done to rid yourself of these pests, we waive our inspection fees.
How does your warranty work for my service?
Depending on services provided, warranties may vary. Company policy does not allow us to treat interior perimeters for 14-21 days. If you still have a problem with the dedicated pest, please contact our office. For exterior treatments we ask that you wait at least 7-10 days for a return visit, some pesticides take longer to eliminate a pest.
Can you treat the inside of my barn?
Yes we can, depending on what is in the barn and what type of service you require.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bed Bugs
How do I know if I have Bed Bugs?
Generally people discover a bedbug issue by finding bites first and then questioning it. If this is happening, it is recommended that a professional inspection be done to determine if bed bugs are the problem.
Does your Bed Bug Service come with any guarantee?
We offer a 14 day warranty for all bed bugs services, effective from the last service date (3rd service). We will return to your home 14 days after the 3rd service to remove any monitors and inspect the property before releasing the service from warranty.
Do I have to throw away all of my furniture (dressers, night stands, etc.) if I have bed bugs?
No you do not, if you can empty all drawers and put items in the dryer. If possible put in large garbage bag and seal.
I’m being bitten, what can I do to identify what is biting me?
Recommendations are provided based on the customer’s description of problem area. Otherwise, the customer is directed to see a doctor or pay for inspection.
Frequently Asked Questions About Roaches
How did I get them when I am a very clean person?
Roaches travel into homes through cardboard boxes and various other means (they can lay eggs in the corrugated ridges of the boxes when they are stored where roaches are present). They can travel water pipelines and cracks and crevices from attached buildings.
If I only found 1 roach, do I still need a full treatment?
Absolutely, treatment is necessary. The chance of only having one is very slim! They lay eggs and multiply too quickly to think you caught the only one.
After roach treatment, do you come back and retreat?
Treatment of roaches has a 4 month warranty. After treatment, you may see an increased amount of activity as we are pulling the roaches out of their hiding spaces. Activity should cease in about a week, if you are still finding activity after 21 days, please call and we will schedule a return visit and treatment at no additional charge. Our primary goal is to rid your house of them, not just keep them in control.
Do I have to treat multiple apartments for roaches if only one has a problem?
Absolutely, treatment is necessary. The chance of only having one is very slim! They lay eggs and multiply too quickly to think you caught the only one.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ants
Do smaller ants nest inside?
- Yes, some do. Odorous house ants and pharoh ants nest inside. They are reddish brown or black.
- Small ants do not usually nest inside a home, they travel inside, foraging for food and/or water.
- Sometimes they can nest under additions to houses that are sitting on sandy soil so it may appear they are inside the house.
Why do I find small ants in the bathroom?
These ants generally are following the water pipes or heat runs.
How do I determine if I have small ants, or Carpenter Ants?
- Small ants are generally red to brown in color
- Carpenter Ants are usually medium to Large and black in color.
What are the small ants with wings?
All ants, when they develop wings, it means the nesting area they have has become too crowded and they are searching for a satellite area for additional nesting.
Frequently Asked Questions About Carpenter Ants
What kind of damage can Carpenter Ants do?
Carpenter ants will chew tunnels through water damaged wood which makes the wood susceptible to breaking and collapsing which can require extensive repairs to frames of windows, doorways, and even to whole walls
How do I tell if the damage I see is Carpenter Ants or Termite Damage?
Carpenter Ants leave behind sawdust called Frass, which may contain body parts of ants. Termites however eat the wood and do not leave behind sawdust. Also keep in mind that we do not have documented findings of Termites in the Onondaga County area. This is believed to be due to the salty sandy earth of the Salt City.
How do you locate the nesting area of Carpenter Ants?
We concentrate on the areas you are seeing the most activity, as well as a visual inspection of any water damage or sawdust. Sometimes we will need to drill small holes and treat directly into the wall or frames of windows, or doorways.
Frequently Asked Questions About Carpenter Bees
What are Carpenter Bees and what kind of damage can they do?
- Carpenter bees are large black, or black and yellow usually with a shiny black bottom (Bumble bees)
- They will drill directly into wood and prefer untreated, weather damaged soft wood. We will need to treat each individual hole in order to control them. Carpenter bees drill perfect roundish holes and proceed to tunnel through the wood weakening the wood, causing repairs/replacement of soffits, etc…
Frequently Asked Questions About Honey Bees
How do I tell if I have a Honey Bee nest verses Yellow Jackets?
- Honey bees secrete a yellowish substance at the entry and usually you will see 100’s of them.
- You also may only have a Swarm of Honey Bees with no nest. They may rest in one place up to 2 to 3 days before moving on. These swarms can stop on sides of buildings, trees, etc.
- We recommend calling a Bee-keeper to try to remove the nest without killing the very important Honey Bee’s. Some nests can’t be saved.
When is the best time for Bee Preventive Treatment?
Early spring before the bees start actively nesting. Usually between April 15th and June 15th. The best time to treat is determined by us according to weather and the bee activity. Late springs and early springs will change the best time to treat, as will wet and dry weather. We will still treat during wet weather, high winds and heavy rains are the weather conditions that could postpone your treatment.
What if it rains after my Bee Preventive Treatment?
Our treatment application is concentrated where the Bees actually nest. Bees nest in areas that the rain does not hit. After treatment we like to have just enough time for it to dry. This application carries its own full warranty and the technician will decide if rain or wind will affect the warranty. We do not wish to return for n/c so we work hard to make sure it will take the first time, as well as trying to determine problem areas while treating.
I’m a part of a neighborhood group for Bees and I’d like a special date (Grad, b-day party) for my service, can you do that?
We can certainly try to accommodate your scheduling needs, however, that will require a full payment for the service, no group rate discounts available. Group rates are available when we can perform service on a number of homes in one area..
Will it stain my siding or decking?
We use a water based treatment that dries clear. It does not stain, however if you have dirt on your siding you may see the drip marks. We suggest power washing siding before our treatment if necessary and Window washing after the treatment to remove drips and overspray on windows
Frequently Asked Questions About Fleas
Why can’t I get the fleas under control with all the over the counter products? They keep coming back.
- Using over the counter sprays and foggers will only kill the fleas that they come in direct contact with, these do not kill the eggs. So every hatching will create a whole new infestation.
- All animals should be treated with a vet approved Flea treatment. Do not bathe the animals after this treatment or you will wash away the flea treatment. If necessary having a lawn treatment will also help to control them bringing them inside the house.
- Vacuuming is a must before and after treatment, this will help break the eggs open and cause the baby fleas to get into the treatment faster while our materials are still at their highest potency.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rodents
What can I expect your technician to do while in my home for a mouse inspection/treatment?
- Our technicians will first ask the customer where they are seeing the critter or evidence of the critter.
- The technician will inspect the property for possible entry ways or areas that would allow the rodent access. They will discuss possible repair options with the homeowner.
- Our technicians will place baits, traps, glue boards, and bait boxes where needed. They will place these items were mice/ rats are known to be. such as pipe runs and heat-runs, under sinks, dishwashers, and refrigerators.
- Each rodent service we provide is different, based on the customers home. We tailor our service based on the needs and severity of the customers infestation.
- We also offer a warranty to ensure your critter problem is resolved.
Will the tech plug (repair) any rodent entryways they see?
No. We do not do the “repairs” of entryways but we do let you know where they are, and we may give you advice on what to do. Adding the time and materials to do repairs would significantly add to the cost of the mouse treatment. Most entryways are very small and the best material to use is Grade-0 to 2-0 steel wool, it can easily be stuffed into a crack or opening with a screw driver or butter knife. Mice do not like it so it is very effective at keeping them out.
Will you come back and remove the dead mice/rats?
Our technicians do not return to remove dead rodents. That is the property owner’s responsibility. If there are special circumstances (elderly, infants) some technicians will return.
Recent Blog Articles
Ants In Syracuse: An All-Inclusive Guide To Prevention And Control
May 15, 2023
Ants in Syracuse homes can cause big problems. Learn about the trouble they cause, prevention tips, and the best way to control them with Gannon Pest Contr...Read More
The Benefits Of A Professional Pest Control Program For Your Syracuse Home
April 15, 2023
Keep your Syracuse home pest-free all year long. Discover the advantages of professional pest control in our new article.Read More